|Plot details follow, read at your own risk.|
- "Let me shoot this guy. Please?"
- ―Stefan Bekowsky
A Slip of the Tongue is a Traffic case in L.A. Noire. It was a pre-order bonus from Wal-Mart in Canada and the US and Play in the UK. According to Play.com, it came with the game soundtrack. JB Hi Fi Australia and New Zealand also have this case exclusive to JB Hi Fi pre-orders. It is now a story case in the The Complete Edition of the game.
A seemingly run of the mill car theft ends up sparking an explosive investigation into the largest auto fraud racket the city has ever seen.
Persons of Interest
- Cliff Harrison - The apparent new owner of a stolen car.
- Richard Coombs - The owner of Coombs Automotive.
- Jean Archer - One of the transport mules.
- James Belasco - The other transport mule.
- Gordon Leitvol - The owner of Marquee Printing Company.
- Steven Bigelow - An associate of Gordon Leitvol.
- Investigate Stolen Vehicle Report
- Investigate Coombs Automotive
- Investigate Jean Archer's Address
- Trace Address for Marquee Printing
- Investigate Marquee Printing
- Interrogate James Belasco
- Apprehend Jean Archer
- Investigate 58 Industrial Street
- Apprehend Gordon Leitvol
Achievements and Trophies
Captain Leary informs you that a stolen vehicle from the hot sheet has been spotted.
6 West Second Street
When you get there, a short cutscene will occur before you'll have to chase the driver. Disable his vehicle before he is stopped by uniformed backup in order to earn the Nowhere in a Hurry Achievement/Trophy.
Interview Cliff Harrison:
|Vehicle reported as stolen||Truth||Harrison's ownership papers|
|Motive for flight||Doubt|
|Vehicle purchase details||Truth||Richard Coombs|
This is where you get the first pinkslip for the Racing For Pinks Achievement
Once you get there, you'll be greeted with a sales pitch from the owner, Richard Coombs. He'll tell you not to take another step, but you'll have to go to him in order to proceed. After a short cutscene, you follow him into his office where he'll give you two new clues:
Interview Richard Coombs:
Before leaving, use the nearby gamewell or just get in your car to use the police radio.
146 North Fremont Avenue
When you arrive, you'll discover that the registered address is an empty lot.
Speak with the watch commander before going to interview James Belasco in room 2.
Interview James Belasco:
Before you get to ask him questions, he'll give you another clue:
|On the table in interview room 2.|
|Description||Legitimate pink slip, made out to James Belasco of 146 North Fremont Avenue.|
|Clues||Belasco's ownership papers|
This is where you get the third of the pinkslips for the Racing For Pinks Achievement/Trophy
When your interview is finished a cutscene will occur, where Ray Pinker will give you another clue:
|Given to you by Ray.|
|Description||Message reads: Gordon Leitvol, Proprietor, Marquee Printing Company, 323 Aliso St.|
|Clues||Note from Ray Pinker
Go towards the entrance, and the watch commander will stop and talk to you. He'll tell you that Jean Archer was seen at the Western Union less than a minute's run from Central. Run out of the station and turn left. Cross the road at the intersection, and turn left when you get to the other side. From here, just keep running straight.
Alternatively, get in your car and drive, or ask Bekowsky to drive. Be aware, it is possible to miss her, and doing so will only allow you to get a maximum of 4 stars for this case.
Approach Archer at the counter and question her.
Interview Jean Archer:
After this interview, if you correctly branch all questions, you receive the Achievement/Trophy Femme Imbécile
Go into the building, and speak to Gordon Leitvol.
Interview Gordon Leitvol:
|Knowledge of theft racket||Doubt|
|Pink slip supply||Doubt|
|Coombs Auto deliveries||Doubt|
After your conversation, Leitvol will let you see his ledger. Select any row where Bigelow was the customer.
58 Industrial Street
Prepare for a shootout. Take out the goons on the ground floor, before going up to the first floor. You can get the Chop Shop Achievement/Trophy if you kill at least one of the goons with the engine block that's hanging from the ceiling in the center of the room. You'll find Steven Bigelow and the following clues in his office:
The Box of pinkslips is the last you need for the Racing For Pinks Achievement/Trophy
Interview Steven Bigelow:
|Pink slip supply||Doubt||Gambling debts|
|Association with Leitvol||Lie||Delivery Ledger/Note from Ray Pinker|
Marquee Printing Company
Interview Gordon Leitvol:
|Deliveries to Industrial St||Lie||Betting slips or Gambling debts|
"Report of a stolen vehicle, 6 West Second Street. If the registration has been circulating on the Department hot sheet, that means the suspect didn't change the plates, didn't make any attempt to conceal the vehicle - a beat cop spotted it sitting in the driveway. Something doesn't add up. We have the full details of the car, so finding out is as simple as paying a visit."
- "With the theft racket smashed, Leitvol and his cronies will climb over one another to cut a deal."
- "Bigelow might be a hood, but he had the dirt on Leitvol and would have flipped if encouraged."
- "To save his own skin, Belasco might have offered up his bosses or fellow auto mules."
- "Jean Archer remains at large with the proceeds of the auto sale and an eye on her next score."
- "Well, some people would say that my cars are a steal... that's a joke, son."
- ―Richard Coombs
- "There are at least four dead men in this warehouse. A couple more punks won't make for that much extra paperwork. We'd be doing the legal system a favor."
- ―Cole Phelps
- On rare occasions, the "Details of Transaction" question won't show up during the Richard Coombs interview, even if you chose the correct responses to Cliff Harrison and inspected all of the clues, making it impossible to complete the case. Restarting the game and re-downloading the case from the in-game store should fix this problem.
- After the shootout in the chop shop, when talking to Steven Bigelow after tossing his office, a scream is heard and the camera moves inside Phelps. The notebook is open but the player is unable to select a question or exit the conversation. Quitting to the main menu and resuming the game from the recent save point will solve the problem. (PC)
- When the player doesn't visit Marquee Printings before the shootout at the Chop Shop, he walks into the print shop and asks Gordon Leitvol the "Deliveries to Industrial St" question. Phelps and Bekowsky seem to know Leitvol although they have never met him before. The first 3 questions won't show up.
- On James Belasco's Forged Pink Slip for a 1945 Chevy Styline it shows 4Cyl. The 1940's Chevy's only had Straight 6Cyl engine options.
- The ending on this particular case all depends on whether Phelps handles the "Deliveries to Industrial St" question correctly. It he does, Leary will be very bright from the good press and praise Phelps on his work. But if Phelps doesn't handle it correctly, Leary will angrily berate both Bekowsky and Phelps (mainly the latter).
- You can "free roam" with guns in this case. After Cliff Harrison is stopped by uniformed backup, or has his car destroyed, Bekowsky will request a patrol unit ,get out his car, and hold Harrison at gunpoint. If Phelps gets out the car, he will take his Colt M1911 out at this point, and, if far enough from the car, can freely fire. This allows him to explore certain areas not normally accessible where instead of trying to open doors but finding them locked, he will be able to kick down them (e.g., Leland Monroe's office at Elysian Fields Development, which has a gold handle, but is in a "locked" state)).