- "That's textbook policing and we need more of it in this Department."
- ―Gordon Leary
Events of L.A. Noire
- "And now some housekeeping. A warm Central Division welcome for Detective Cole Phelps. Some of you guys may know Phelps. He's the cop who broke the jewerly store murder. Stand up and take a bow, Phelps."
- ―Leary introduces Cole to detectives in the briefing room.
introduced Cole to the other detectives in the department room. Leary sent Cole and Stefan Bekowsky to investigate the disappearance of Adrian Black, the theft of the diplomatic vehicle of Juan Francisco Valdez, hit and run of Lester Pattison, A stolen car ring, and a possible D.U.I-related crash which involved June Ballard and Jessica Hamilton.
- "You've developed such a reputation I'm not gonna be able to hold on to you any longer. You're getting promoted. Go on, get your new assignment. It was good working with you, son."
- ―Leary telling Cole on his promotion.
Leary is later seen after the shootout at the Intolerance Set. With the arrest of Mark Bishop after defeating a small army of Guy McAfee's thugs, out-performing the Vice department, Leary was more than pleased and informed Phelps of his promotion.
After Phelps' death, Leary attended his funeral to pay his respects. He sits in the other section; the one opposite the one Biggs, Elsa and Jack.
- "Outta the way, Sherlock. I'm busy."
- ―Leary, to Phelps.